update/summary real time extremity dosimetry

I'd like to start by thanking all those who replied to my recent question on

real time extremity dosimetry.   The following is a summary of the information

I have managed to find with the help of the list.

Although SAIC used to manufacture a system (RADSTAR telemetry system or the

PDE-4) they don't currently manufacture a real time extremity dosimetry system.

  Perhaps if enough people ask they might review this.

Thermo Electron Corp. - Thermo now own the Environmental Division of Siemens

and now manufacture the EPD.   They have had an ongoing project for sometime

to manufacture a GM based system which could accept multiple detectors.

According to Rich Palatine (Thermo Environmental Instruments Division, Atlanta)

they are 75% of the way through design.   I was fortunate enough to be able to

speak to Rich while he was in the UK recently as Thermo are keen to get input

from customers to ensure that the final product meets our needs.   I'm sure he

would be keen to hear from companies who feel they have a need for this type of

product.

Several replies indicated that they were happy with a product from the

Swedish Company UNFORS.

see:

http://www.unfors.com/rp_edd.php

http://www.unfors.com/pdf/sensorcar2002.pdf

I contacted the UK representative for this product and while it appears to be

suitable there is a lack of detailed test data for this instrument.   The

manufacturers response is that it is a training device rather than a dosimeter

and as such there is no requirement to detailed performance testing.   The UK

representative is encouraging them to look at more formal testing as the UK

Nuclear Industry really requires this testing (similar to IEC type testing and

probably, though I have little experience of it, ANSI testing).

The final instrument I came across was one manufactured by a small UK company

who market devices designed by BAE Systems (usually for the military market).

  They have just completed detailed testing of the production prototype which

was undertaken by the UK National Radiological Protection Board which they

have agreed to make available to me.   For further information see the following

links:

http://www.johncaunt.dsl.pipex.com/aegis/pages/aegisd13.html

http://www.johncaunt.dsl.pipex.com/aegis/pages/aegisped.1.html

The system is based on small silicon diode detectors (similar to those used

in the Thermo EPD, see above) with particular care taken to eliminate false

results e.g. from Microphony.

If anyone has information on other manufacturers products, particularly

anything that could measure Hp(0.07) I would be keen to hear from them.

Warmest regards,

Julian