RE: Chernobyl disaster caused cancer cases in Sweden

Dear Bjorn,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful notes regarding the claimed cancer

effects of Chernobyl in Sweden.

This BBC report (link below) states that the "findings met with scepticism

from some other experts who think the radiation fallout in Sweden was not

likely to cause such a rise in cases" -- implying that the authors of the

new report are "experts," a claim that seems dubious in light of the

information you provided.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4028729.stm

Saturday, 20 November, 2004

Chernobyl 'caused Sweden cancers'

The fallout of Chernobyl has affected millions of lives

More than 800 people in northern Sweden may have developed cancer as a

result of the fallout of the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear accident, a new study

says.

Swedish scientists said the "Chernobyl effect" was the only likely

explanation for 849 cancer cases they came across.

<SNIP>

Martin Tondel........... said that, after other factors such as smoking,

population density and age had been taken into account, it seemed the only

possible explanation.

<SNIP>

"With every statistical method we used to look at it, we see an increase (in

cases) across the board. That indicates that it's a Chernobyl effect," he

added.

<SNIP>

Leif Moberg, a radiation expert with the Swedish Radiation Protection

Authority, questioned the findings' conclusions.

"The radiation dosage that we in Sweden got after the accident was too low

to produce this many cancer cases," he was quoted by the AP as saying.

<SNIP>

Mr Tondel said the study was finished in 2000, but had not been published

until now because of scepticism among science editors, AP reported.

The disaster led to a dramatic rise in the number of cases of thyroid

cancer, leukaemia and birth defects, especially in Belarus.

<END QUOTE>

.....the last sentence appears not to come from the report, just a bit of

BBC gratuitous scaremongering.

Jaro Franta, P.Eng.

Montréal, Québec

frantaj@aecl.ca