RE: Chernobyl disaster caused cancer cases in Sweden

No one knows how any why the authors chose the reference (background) level

at 3 kBq/m2. One may ask what the outcome had been at 2 kBq/m2 or 4 kBq/m2.

One factor that may be important is that there is a downtrend for incidence

(not deaths) in myocardial infarction (and other related cardiovascular

diseases) and an uptrend in cancer incidence (as a cause of death CHD is

approx. down in Sweden from about 54 % to 44 % of all causes over the last

20 years). Some preliminary info indicates that this may be more pronounced

in the northern (and colder) parts of Sweden. The Chernobyl fallout areas

were essentially north of Stockholm in the colder areas (quite heterogenous

fallout pattern depending on winds and local rain). The downtrend in the

cardiovascular diseases is probably more pronounced up north. If these

people live longer there is a higher probability that they will contribute

to the cancer incidence. A few warmer winters than average in the areas may

contribute to subsequent increases in cancer incidence over the next years -

who knows unless it is analyzed?

In other words - regardless of whether the just written could be of

relevance, with a general uptrend in cancer incidence, statistical fishing

expeditions should be facilitated - or what do you think?

Someone said today that the paper had been rejected by several other

journals (which ones?) before it was published. The promotion hypothesis is

far fetched and the Stewart & Kneale reference (which reasonably only as a

maximum could underestimate the total cancers of Hiroshima & Nagasaki by a

few dozens of extra cancer deaths - essentially leukemias) must be quite

irrelevant as the total seems to land somewhere in the order of 1650 extra

cancer deaths. As the authors didn't find any extra leukemias and emphasize

that their cohort wasn't delayed by 5 years the moral seems to be

inconsistent ("one rule for us and another one for others"). If I am wrong

in any reasoning - please point it out and I will be the first to correct

it.

My personal reflections only - not approved by anyone,

Bjorn Cedervall       bcradsafers@hotmail.com

PS. Sorry about a dozen of typos, missed commas etc (there were probably

more that I am not aware of) in my previous messages - I am sure that you

got the essence - I can be quite blind looking at the monitor, and in

addition tired or busy.