Re: AW: Study Links Smog Increases to Urban U.S. Deaths

Hi Franz,

I just posted the article; I'm not defending it.  However, it does say

it that the study is of pooled data from 95 urban areas, so this is more

than just one city.  My personal opinion is that if you have to do a

meta-analysis, then the actual effect is likely so small that--even if

statistically significant--it's less of a risk than many other daily

insults.  As always, it's the elderly, very young, or already unhealthy

people who are disproportionately affected.

Vienna's weather sounds much like ours in east Tennessee right now!  I

have fond memories of my visit there last November.

My llamas are all doing well, and my herd has greatly increased in

size.  I bought 3 animals this year and had 3 born, so now I've got 12

llamas and 2 alpacas.  Photos of my 2004 babies (and some of my other

llamas and related events) can be seen at

http://photos.yahoo.com/llamaladysg .  Now I'm competing with Sandy

Perle for the virtual voyeurs on RadSafe.

Susan Gawarecki

Franz Schönhofer wrote:

>Susan,

>Is his study restricted to Chicago? How is this with other urban areas

>all over the world? How about deaths in towns other than the US? What

>about Falludja, Bagdad, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Nigeria, in Darfur, in the

>Sahel zone? Just in the latter one mentioned there is no ozone

>pollution, but the death rate is definitely higher by orders of

>magnitude than in Chicago.

>Come on, Susan, studies on relation between air pollution and probably

>increased death rates by a few permille or less are funded by million

>dollars research grants. The real problems in the world are not only not

>solved but hidden behind such "alarming" news about US agenda.

>The money would be better spent on education for population control and

>survival in these areas.

>How are your llamas?

>Best regards from a sometimes cold, sometimes warm, sometimes dry and

>sometimes wet Vienna!

>Franz

>Franz Schoenhofer

>PhD, MR iR

>Habicherg. 31/7

>A-1160 Vienna

>AUSTRIA

>phone -43-0699-1168-1319

>--

<snip>

>>"By linking day-to-day variations in ambient ozone levels and daily

>>number of deaths in each of the urban areas, and pooling the results

>>across the 95 urban areas, this study provides strong evidence of

>>short-term effects of ozone on mortality," said Francesca Dominici, an

>>author of the study.

<snip>

>>People aged 65 to 74 had a slightly higher increase in the death rate,

>>at 0.70 percent.

<snip>