AW: AW: Study Links Smog Increases to Urban U.S. Deaths

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your reply, which I totally agree with. I wanted to put

your first contribution into perspective and to provoke discussions,

especially pointing out the differences between so-called developed and

under-developed countries.

I have not yet visited your Llama-page, (it is 2:26 a.m.) but I do not

believe that you can compete with Sandy, because he has no llamas....

It is always nice to communicate with other RADSAFErs who have a certain

degree of personal, humorous and funny communication ability.....

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer

PhD, MR iR

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna

AUSTRIA

phone -43-0699-1168-1319

more

> than just one city.  My personal opinion is that if you have to do a

> meta-analysis, then the actual effect is likely so small that--even if

> statistically significant--it's less of a risk than many other daily

> insults.  As always, it's the elderly, very young, or already

unhealthy

> people who are disproportionately affected.

> Vienna's weather sounds much like ours in east Tennessee right now!  I

> have fond memories of my visit there last November.

> My llamas are all doing well, and my herd has greatly increased in

> size.  I bought 3 animals this year and had 3 born, so now I've got 12

> llamas and 2 alpacas.  Photos of my 2004 babies (and some of my other

> llamas and related events) can be seen at

> http://photos.yahoo.com/llamaladysg .  Now I'm competing with Sandy

> Perle for the virtual voyeurs on RadSafe.

> Susan Gawarecki

> Franz Schönhofer wrote:

> >Susan,

> >Is his study restricted to Chicago? How is this with other urban

areas

> >all over the world? How about deaths in towns other than the US? What

> >about Falludja, Bagdad, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Nigeria, in Darfur, in

the

> >Sahel zone? Just in the latter one mentioned there is no ozone

> >pollution, but the death rate is definitely higher by orders of

> >magnitude than in Chicago.

> >Come on, Susan, studies on relation between air pollution and

probably

> >increased death rates by a few permille or less are funded by million

> >dollars research grants. The real problems in the world are not only

not

> >solved but hidden behind such "alarming" news about US agenda.

> >The money would be better spent on education for population control

and

-

> >--

fraction

> >>of this number of deaths annually.

> >>Susan Gawarecki

> >>Study Links Smog Increases to Urban U.S. Deaths

> <snip>

> >>"By linking day-to-day variations in ambient ozone levels and daily

> >>number of deaths in each of the urban areas, and pooling the results

> >>across the 95 urban areas, this study provides strong evidence of

> >>short-term effects of ozone on mortality," said Francesca Dominici,

an

> >>author of the study.

> <snip>

> >>People aged 65 to 74 had a slightly higher increase in the death

rate,