RE: A respectable end to Cohen's LNTT radon debate has arrived!

Steve and Radsafers,

I just read the very recent article in Health Physics by Heath, C W. Jr ;

Bond, P D.; Hoel, D G.; and Meinhold, C B. (December 2004)

Here is my quick take on the article.

They did re-analyze Cohen's lung cancer versus radon data and found the same

negative correlation! After correcting for smoking, they still found the

negative correlation that Cohen did. Then, the authors claim that this can

not be so because it does not fit their preconceived notion that radon

causes lung cancer. Their only explanation is a supposition that some

unknown correlation involving smoking causes a systematic discrepancy,

particularly in low radon counties. They give no quantitative theoretical

basis (not even hypothetical numerical relationships) as to how this unknown

correlation is giving the "wrong answer".

I think Cohen's treatment is much more analytical, numerical and,

ultimately, convincing. I welcome comments.

Best regards,

Wes

Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP

Wesley R. Van Pelt Associates, Inc.