Re: Humans Raise Risk of Europe Heatwaves:

Hi Don:

Regarding your scepticism about my remark quoted in your post below, I

have no doubt you were aware that there was substantial anti-smoking

knowlege when you wrote your 8th grade paper in 1961. However, before you

argue too strongly that my comment about physicians and other scientists

continuing to claim smoking was safe long after much scientific

information to the contrary was known, you should read the following

excerpt from the source url cited below and the excerpt from the following

report.

======================

"Tobacco and Health"

Expert Witness Report Filed on behalf of Plaintiffs in:

"The United States of America, Plaintiff, v. Philip Morris, Inc., et al.,

Defendants," Civil Action No. 99-CV-02496 (GK) (Federal case)*

By

Robert N. Proctor

http://www.psljournal.com/archives/papers/tobacco.cfm

"It would be wrong to imagine, though, that knowledge of these hazards

quickly became common knowledge. Few people read the technical medical

literature, and even when people did read or hear about "the cancer

scare," they also heard--repeatedly and from various sources--that smoking

was safe. Cigarettes were widely advertised on billboards and in magazines

and newspapers, and increasingly in movie theaters, on radio, and on

television. Popular sports figures, movie stars, and other high-profile

personalities appeared in thousands of cheery tobacco ads with never a

mention of a hazard. Ronald Reagan and Joe Dimaggio advertised cigarettes

in the 1940s, as did Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz in the 1950s. Perry Como,

Jimmy Stewart, Frank Sinatra, and football and golf greats Frank Gifford

and Arnold Palmer all appeared in tobacco ads--along with many other

popular athletes, singers, media personalities. Popular pro-smoking books

reported the testimony of physicians that tobacco was safe or that the

hazards had been exaggerated.[26] Millions of Americans were led to

believe that cigarettes were satisfying, sexy, and safe.

Part of this sense of safety came from the fact that the tobacco industry

spent a lot of time and money to establish the image that smoking was

safe. Doctors were used to advertise cigarettes, and smoking brand x, y,

or z was said to help "soothe the throat" or "aid digestion" or "keep you

alert," etc. These early "white-coat" advertisements claimed many health

virtues for cigarettes: Belairs let you "breathe easy" (1960); Camels

"never get on your nerves" (1934) and don't "get your wind" (1935); Kools

were "soothing to your throat" (1937); L&M Filters were "just what the

doctor ordered" (1953); Old Gold you smoked "for a treat, instead of a

treatment"; Larks had filters packed with "the basic material science uses

to purify air"; women were told to "reach for a Lucky instead of a

sweet"--and so forth. Philip Morris cigarettes were supposed to provide

"pleasure without penalties" (1941) and to take "the fear out of smoking"

(1953); Camels were good for a supposed "T-Zone--Throat and Taste." [27]"

References cited in above excerpt:

[26] Many examples of American physicians taking such a stand are reported

in Lloyd Mallan, It Is Safe to Smoke (New York: Hawthorn, 1966). Mallan

also records Senator Bass's response, after hearing conflicting testimony

in Senate Commerce Committee hearings of March 1965: "What impresses me,

then--and the conclusion that I reach as a layman--is that there seems to

be still a great deal of doubt as to the cause of cancer" (p. 140).

[27] A B&W document listing 186 different health slogans used in cigarette

ads can be found in "A Review of Health References in Cigarette

Advertising, 1927-1964," Bates #696000889.

=========

As an aside, for those who are unfamiliar with some lesser known aspects

of the Nazi regime, it did not just have a vigorous anti-smoking campaign

which you mentioned [using extreme anti-Semitic advertising, blaming Jews

for pushing cigarettes on the Germans by the way!], but the Nazis had a

very active public health campaign to educate the German people about the

hazards of elevated radon and asbestos exposure to workers and members of

the public. For reference see: The Nazi War Against Cancer by Proctor:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0691070512/002-3527910-4356004?v=glance

Stewart Farber