Re: warming, LNT, & uncertainty

Hi Andy:

I certainly recognize the truth in your comments about uncertainties in

both LNT and global warming/greenhouse effect issues.

However, as I wrote in an earlier post, if the uncertain and likely

unknowable dose-response relationship for ionizing radiation at "low"

doses is used to justify application of the LNT [often to the detriment of

nuclear technologies] why should the popular acceptance of the greenhouse

effect by the majority of the public, regulators, and legislators all over

the world not be simply embraced by those involved with nuclear

technologies? Sorry for the long sentence. Both LNT & global warming

issues will someday be understood with better certainty. However, for now

why should those involved with  nuclear technologies around the world

[which help to displace huge quantities -- several billion tons per year

at a minimum of carbon dioxide emissions in power generation] not just

take some credit and garner some popular support for their achievement in

helping to avoid a potentially long-term climatic impact? As in so many

aspects of power generation, we're dealing with theoretically derived

risk/benefit assessments.  Accept the benefits where you can --there are

enough perceived and claimed risks for the nuclear option in the popular

mind.

Stewart Farber

farbersa@optonline.net