Re: [Know_Nukes] From the Swiss Medical Weekly.

I have looked briefly at the article, but I did not

see a "five-fold increase in cancer."  Also, weren't

all of the liquidators male?

--- Ivor Surveyor <isurveyor@vianet.net.au> wrote:

> To Know_Nukes:

> The following paper can be downloaded from the

> Internet.

> Okeanov AE, Sosnovskaya, Priatkina OP.    A national

> cancer registry to

> assess trends after the Chernobyl accident.

> Swiss Med Wkly 2004;134: 645-649

> <http://www.smw.ch/pdf200x/2004/43/smw-10221.pdf>

> The data is from the National Cancer Registry of

> Belarus and reports

> increased incidence of some cancers comparing the

> period 1976-1985 with

> 1990-2000, as well as incidence within regions of

> Belarus.   A low exposure

> region namely, Vitebsk was used as a control for the

> liquidator

> population.   Increase in RR was reported for

> cancers of colon, lung,

> urinary bladder and "globally for all sites."

> Tobacco as a confounder is

> very briefly discussed.

> The findings in this report seem to be at variance

> with UNSCEAR-2000.   I

> would be pleased to read an expert assessment of

> these findings and how to

> put this data into the total perspective of the

> Chernobyl story.

> Ivor Surveyor MD, FRCP; FRACP

> Emeritus Consultant Physician, Nuclear Medicine

> [isurveyor@vianet.net.au}

=====

"Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House?"

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist