RE: Beware the Laptop! (danger of wearing pants)

>Somewhere or other I saw an analysis on the effect on fertility and

>mutagenesis of the practice of wearing pants.

The ref. is Ehrenberg L et al., Gonad temperature and spontaneous

mutation-rate in man.

Nature. Vol. 180, Dec. 21, 1957:1433-4.

I have an original reprint of the article somewhere. Lars Ehrenberg (LE)

told me (around 1975 - I worked with him at that time for more than a year)

that he had been invited to a nudist camp after this article was published

("the only time in my life I have spoken to a completely nude group of

people" or something like that is what he said - he is prof. em. at the

Univ. of Stockholm if anyone wants more exact and correct details).

The basis of the paper, if I recall it correctly, is about transition energy

levels - it may have been some Arrhenius (plot type) of mutational events on

a DNA level (thus only 3.5 yrs after Watson and Crick with the structure of

DNA etc). They may have compared the risk of wearing pants with some level

given by UNSCEAR - I am not sure - it was thus very serious

considerations... There is a suggestion that men should wear Scottish kilts

or something like that.

This publication also made tabloids and first page of our sensational

newspaper Expressen (focuses on scandals, celebrities, sex etc) - a picture

of a man from behind getting his long underwear on - and suggestive text

that it was Ehrenberg on the picture + that he had said that this one brand

of underwear was particularly dangerous (Expressen had called LE way too

early in the morning and LE had asked them if they weren't an evening paper

which they were at that time). Anyway, that underwear producing company sued

LE and he had a hard time proving that the statement about the danger of

that particular brand was the fantasy of Expressen. A bottom line was that

he got free supply of that brand of underwear.

This is how I remember what LE told me about the fragments of that episode -

if anything is wrong it is only due to decay of my brain cells over the past

30 years and I am willing to correct any details relating to the story. It

is perhaps becoming a classical paper so it may be interesting for a broader

audience to get this glimpse of the past.

My personal reflections and memory only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.geocities.om/bjorn_cedervall/

PS. Where the H..l do I have that reprint BTW?