UNH Shipment of Biological Materials Manual

Dear Group,

We have updated and expanded our UNH Shipment of Biological Materials

Manual just in time for the holidays! It is available on our website at:

http://www.unh.edu/ehs/shipping/UNH-Shipping-Biological-Materials.pdf

You will need Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or higher to view the document. We

included updates to maintain compliance with IATA's 46th Edition (2005)

Dangerous Goods Regulations.

Important changes to note:

* The classification of diagnostic specimens and infectious substances

has been completely revised.

* There is a new label requirement for diagnostic specimen shipments.

* The marking requirement for overpacks has changed.

* The format of the Shipper's Declaration for Dangerous Goods has been

updated.

These changes have created an unfortunate divergence between the

requirements of the US Department of Transportation (DOT) and the

International Air Transport Association (IATA). Our manual is designed

to assistant shipments generally made by air. As a result, we have

placed emphasis on IATA regulations.

We hope that you may find this document helpful in developing your own

training programs. As always, comments, suggestions and corrections are

greatly appreciated from the list.

Sincerely,

Andy

Andy Glode

Chemical Transfer Station

Office of Environmental Health and Safety

University of New Hampshire

1 Leavitt Lane

Durham, NH 03824

Office (603) 862-5038; Fax (603) 862-0047

http://www.unh.edu/ehs/shipping/