Enrichment plant in NM?

Dear RADSAFErs,

I received today information from Sandy Perle's nuclear list, that there

are plans to build an enrichment plant in New Mexico. Can anybody share

more information: Is it for commercial or military purposes? The latter

seems very unlikely to me, because I believe to know that the USA has so

much weapons grade plutonium in stock, that no enriched uranium should

be necessary to produce more and rather production of MOX is intended to

cut down this stock.

Where is it planned?

Is it not possible to use existing enrichment plants any more? From

discussions on RADSAFE I know about the problems to clean up old plants

to environmental levels, so wouldn't it be better use the old sites?

BTW can anybody provide me with a reliable list about which countries do

commercial and/or military enrichment, have plants operating, will

operate them soon or have temporarily abandoned enrichment for

construction of new and more modern facilities? I know quite a lot but

in discussions it is better to produce a really comprehensive list!

Thank you for your replies. Which might interest the list as well.

Franz Schoenhofer

PhD, MR iR

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna