reply to Hamrick (was Re: uranium munitions burning in air...)

Barbara Hamrick wrote:

> You have evidence that three people have published allegedly deceitful

> reports?  Three?  I'm sorry, but there's really no significance to that.

Perhaps you missed my numerous criticisms of the Health Physics

Society's print and web publications in my earlier message.  I

challenge you to find a single publication on www.hps.org which

directly states that uranium is toxic to any organ other than

the kidneys.  I have appended several ironically conflicting

excerpts below to help get you started.

> Yet, I still find your wild accusations about the level of

> harm from DU are not scientifically sound.

How so?  Do you intend to attempt to refute them or any of the

several cited and linked articles from the peer-reviewed medical

literature, and the U.K. adjudication on which they are based?

Or, are you, like many if not most Health Physics Society members,

engaged only in assertion from wishful thinking?

Please keep in mind, the number of children born with severe

defects, such as missing eyes or external intestines, to veteran

parents continues to increase.  The veterans are far more angry

about these attempts to discredit the clearly-established direct

causality than I am.

Sincerely,

James Salsman

+1.650.793.0162

"before the discovery and availability of insulin, uranium was used

therapeutically for the treatment of diabetes; relatively high doses

were administered by mouth to patients, but there were no reports of

kidney toxicity."

  -- http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q1906.html

Contrast that to:  "uranium is a weak chemical poison that can seriously

damage the kidneys at high blood concentrations. Virtually all of the

observed or expected effects are from nephrotoxicity associated with

deposition in the kidney tubules and glomeruli damage at high blood

concentrations of uranium."

  -- http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q754.html

"Animal studies have shown that sufficiently high doses of uranium

ingested into the body will produce damage to the kidneys, and at still

greater doses may cause death. However, there are few human data

available and those that are available seem to suggest that ingested

uranium may not be very toxic to humans."

  -- http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q450.html

"the chemical toxicity of uranium is known to produce minor effects on

the kidney, which in humans who have suffered large acute exposures have

been transitory and wholly reversible."

  -- http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q746.html

"any such effects from ingestion or inhalation of uranium would likely

manifest themselves first in the form of minor effects associated with

the kidneys"

  -- http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q611.html

  -- http://hps.org/newsandevents/newsarchive/oldnews172.html