RE: Dr. Durakovic at Port Hope

Just wanted to add my two cents!

I attended the presentation referred to in the newspaper article (which is

circulated within the county) and I took a few notes.  There were

approximately 60-70 people in attendance.  Dr. Durakovic was introduced by

one of the town's councillor's who is also the leader of a group called FARE

(Families Against Radioactive Exposure) and by the leader of another anti

group PHCHCC (Port Hope Community Health Concerns Committee)  He was

introduced as an expert on radiation who has written a book on the subject.

He began by stating the environment is poisoned to the point of no return

with an unsuspecting population.  He specifically named a power plant in

Kentucky (with the accent it sounded like Paduca).  He then went on to say

he speaks in the name of truth and science and he must speak the truth and

be objective of the facts of contamination in Port Hope.  He went into

detail about the half life of uranium (depleted, natural and enriched) such

as it has a half life of 4.5 billion years and after 10 half lives it will

be considered stable, which will be 45 billion years and that the universe

will not be around that long.  His next sentence was something to do with

the police coming to his house with helicoptors and dogs looking for a dirty

bomb because he said anyone could make one.  He described the science of

alpha, beta and gamma radiation, pretty accurately but then went on to say

that he has seen children with two heads in Russia with similar

contamination that is in Port Hope.  However, these facilities were isolated

from population and not located in towns etc.  He says the truth is being

kept from Port Hope residents and that he is not an advocate he is a

scientist and a physicist who only speaks the truth.  Later in the hour long

presentation he went through the History of Radiation Accidents by first

quoting revelations from the bible.  He talked about Radium dial painters,

Chalk River accident in 1952, Kyshtym explosion in 1957, Secret city of

Chelyabinsk where malformations in children is rampant, and Chernobyl where

there is a high incidence of leukemia in children.  (his words not mine)

He talked about the environmental deposit of 180 000 metric tons of mill

tailings for one reactor each year, and that the drums are leaking and

children are being contaminated by low level radioactivity.  Canada would be

brought to its knees financially if the country tried to clean up the

contamination.

He spoke about radiation effects on stem cells stating that brain cells are

not affected but stem cells exposed may generate leukemia.  He then quoted

studies linking Uranium to mountain sickness, Uranium miners in Ontario

(International Journal of Medicine 1993) and lung cancer, systemic sclerosis

(sp??) in German Uranium miners in 1997, depleted uranium at a fuel

processing facility in Ohio with elevated lung cancer 1998 ( a 35 year

study).

He continued quoting other studies that say that Uranium causes lung cancer,

tubular injury in the kidney, nephritis, bone cancer, etc,  He even said

that people exposed to Uranium are more susceptible to colds and flus.

It wasn't until someone asked the question about how he would choose the

individuals that he briefly described what the $1500 would pay for.  His

answer was he would do a triage on the people that are presented to him by

the Community Health Group and he will select people who are most likely to

have radiation sickness then do laboratory research and clinical

methodology.  The selection will be based on people who have a history of

radiation contamination with associated symptoms.  The laboratory work will

consist of chromosomal and genetic analysis, etc for people who of interest

to him.

One of his closing remarks was if he finds their is contamination in Port

Hope every ounce of effort will be made to stop his work.  I was not quite

sure what or who he meant by that.

I was not impressed with his presentation skills, he jumped all over, was

unclear, lost his train of thought a few times and was repetitive about only

speaking the truth.  He did say he had a headache at one of the points that

he lost his train of thought.  I left thinking he had wasted everyone's

time.  I was hoping for him to go through what he would be analyzing for,

the methodoly, how accurate, how defendable his research is, if he has

performed the same in other areas, had he published any of his research in a

peer reviewed journal etc.  None of that just more propaganda throwing in a

few slides of actual science.

I left after he presented so I missed Tedd Weyman's talk so I cannot comment

on what he said.

Anyway just some feedback for people who wish to read it, sorry it is so

longwinded I just wanted to give some information on what Dr. Durakovic

covered.

Monica

Monica Oosting

Health Physics Department

Zircatec Precision Industries

Port Hope, Ontario

monica.oosting@zircatec.ca

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This email is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is for the

intended recipient only. Access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or

reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited and may be a criminal

offence. Please delete if obtained in error and e-mail confirmation to the

sender.