RE: AW: Denver, BEWARE!

Richard and All,

In my recent paper, "EPIDEMIOLOGICAL ASSOCIATIONS AMONG LUNG CANCER, RADON

EXPOSURE AND ELEVATION ABOVE SEA LEVEL-A REASSESSMENT OF COHEN'S COUNTY

LEVEL RADON STUDY", (Health Physics Journal, October 2003) I show that at

higher altitudes the county average lung cancer rate goes down. The

following sentence is from the paper's conclusion section:

	It has been demonstrated, within the limits of adequate correction

for the effects of smoking, that higher lung cancer rate is correlated with

a lower altitude above sea level, and it is speculated that this is due to

the carcinogenic effect of oxygen in inspired air.

Best regards,

Wes

Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP

Am I reading this correctly, that the lower oxygen pressure may reduce

cancer risk? Also, I think of the Eastern U.S. as a major center for

medicine and medical research. I grew up in NYC so that may skew my

perspective.

Cheers,

Richard