Re: Denver

>From: RuthWeiner@aol.com

>That's a lot of confounding factors to make corrections for.  Also, it is

>perfectly true that residents of high-altitude sunny communities like

>Denver have

>a relatively high rate of basal cell skin cancer (I am a pretty good

>example

>myself).  It's from solar UV exposure, not background gamma.  these are the

>most common cancers in the U. S.

Hi, Dr. Ruth.

Can that really expalin it (not that I believe the original)?  It said

"...when proper corrections are made for differences in oygen pressure [14],

demographic and socio-economic confounding factors such as... cancer

mortality _always increases_ with _increasing_ background exposures..."

I believe basal cell carcinoma is rarely fatal.  Thank goodness.  But I

doubt it's another confounder that was not considered.  Melanoma perhaps?

Thanks and best regards,

Jim

--

Hold the door for the stranger behind you. When the driver in the adjacent

lane signals to get over, slow down. Smile and say "hi" to the folks you

pass on the sidewalk. Give blood. Volunteer.