Pooled studies and their increased sensitivity--is it real? (was Euzropean radon study)

Franz Schoenhofer kindly pointed us to the following study:

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/bmj.38308.477650.63v1

This time, for radon, it's a summary of data from multiple other studies.

Previously, I had been pointed to a study of power lines in the British

Journal of Cancer:

http://www.powerlinefacts.com/British%20Journal%20of%20Cancer%20Abstract%20of%20Meta-Analysis%20of%20Cancer.htm

(forgive the website that has the link, but it was easier to find, and I

don't think the study is adulterated there.)

My question is, it seems that while individual studies don't seem to

identify harmful effects with any statistical certainty, the larger base of

a pooled study appears to show harmful effects.

But, I'm wondering if these pooled studies also have the potential for

magnifying the effects in a way that perhaps over-states the overall

sensitivity to a stimulus.

The reason I'm asking is that it seems that the majority of "ill-effect"

studies are pooled studies rather than individual ones.

The discussion on arsenic caused me to chuckle in one regard: it is a clear

example of the dose making the poison, as arsenic is a favoured method of

doing people in -- at least in novels <smile>.

Cheers,

Richard