Re: Activity and Dose Analogies

The symbolism is interesting and has merit, although this pugilistic analogy seems apropos if it's limited to the specific context of comparing activity, dose, and dose equivalent. But the connotation it can evoke troubles me. A boxer feints and preys on his/her opponent in a very small confined area during the match. Each swing is intent and focused on harming the opponent. Also the other boxer fights back. The connotation can lead the audience to equate "radiation = harm". Sometimes the damage is a little and sometimes a lot, but there's always injury.

I'd prefer that the analogy blind-folded the boxers, muted their sounds,

muffled their hearing, and put them in a gymnasium filled with

obstacles. One boxer isn't allowed to swing. The dose rate could be the

number of swings the boxer takes per unit time. This shows the

randomness of radiation events and that most swings harmlessly miss the target.

Frankly, I've never liked analogies that compare radiation with

scenarios where harm is plainly evident, such as smoking, car crashes, and in this case boxing. It's inappropriate to compare hypothetical, statistical injury to real body counts.

Tom

--

Thomas Mohaupt, M.S., CHP

Radiation Safety Officer