From: Smith, Douglas B. [mailto:DOUGLAS.B.SMITH@saic.com]

Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 9:31 AM

To: 'Jim Blute'; Stabin, Michael

Cc: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: Activity and Dose Analogies

Jim:

Yes, I like to use a light bulb analogy.  Becquerels are the brightness of

the bulb, Grays are the brightness on a surface, like your skin, and

Sieverts are the probability of getting sunburn from that brightness.

I like the BBC's explanation of Sv: "In short, a Sv is

the most useful but complicated and subjective unit for measuring

radiation effects on people."

The boxer analogy is quite inventive!

Douglas Smith

SAIC