Re: Article on Edward Teller

Edward Teller: A Personal Remembrance

John H. Bunzel

http://www.hooverdigest.org/041/bunzel.html

Edward was not a religious man, and his idea of God (which he had absorbed

as a child) was that it would be wonderful if He existed but that He hadn't

been seen in thousands of years. I asked him what he would say to God if he

ever met him. He thought for a long moment. "I would ask him where He had

been when the world He created needed His attention," he replied. Did he

believe there was someone beyond the universe who created it? "Not to my

knowledge," he said, pointing out that knowledge comes from scientific

research, which could not answer that question. He could not prove there is

no God, but he knew of no alternative theory he found persuasive. "Look," he

said (he often began a thought this way), "I don't like to talk about things

I don't fully understand, and I have no way of understanding the unknown."

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel