Re: Well Logging Sealed Source Info

>From IAEA glossary

Disused Source:  - A source no longer in use or intended to be used.

The Joint Convention (*) refers to 'disused sealed sources', but does not

define them.

Note that a disused source may still represent a significant radiological

hazard. It differs from a spent source in that it may still be capable of

performing its function; it may be disused because it is no longer needed.

Orphan Source: - A source which poses sufficient radiological hazard to

warrant regulatory control, but which is not under regulatory control

because it has never been so, or because it has been abandoned, lost,

misplaced, stolen or otherwise transferred without proper authorization.

Spent Source: A source that is no longer suitable for its intended purpose

as a result of radioactive decay.

Note that a spent source may still represent a radiological hazard.

(*) Joint Convention on the Safety of Spent Fuel Management and on the

Safety of Radioactive Waste Management

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel