Re: Rep. Ed Markey Press Release

Dear Colleague,

I can understand your point, and you should go ahead to make people to

understand your procedures, obligations and responsibilities to follow

regulations.

On the other hand, Security today has a large dimension in order to ensure

an adequate control to avoid illicit use.

IAEA has published at

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/PressReleases/2002/prn0209.shtml and

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/Features/RadSources/rads_factsheet.pdf

the following information

IAEA Presss Release 2002/09

Inadequate Control of World's Radioactive Sources

Related Coverage: Pages on Radioactive Sources

Vienna, 24 June 2002 | The radioactive materials needed to build a "dirty

bomb" can be found in almost any country in the world, and more than 100

countries may have inadequate control and monitoring programs necessary to

prevent or even detect the theft of these materials, the International

Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) says.

Now, two and half year later we can read:

Attack With Dirty Bomb More Likely, Officials Say

By Dafna Linzer

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 29, 2004; Page A06

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32310-2004Dec28.html?sub=new

"John R. Bolton, undersecretary of state for arms control, said in an

interview that the availability of radiological sources presents a

significant risk, and that both the United States and the rest of the world

"have not paid enough attention to this question. Everybody needs to do more

work on that." ....

I can understand the weakness of developing countries, but the Bolton's

statement about USA?

Today we are involved with two kinds of control safety and security. The BSS

mention security at 2.34 page 26, in this sense, Security is part of Safety,

however if we look at the new approach, Security has gained a new dimension,

now connecting with preventing   illicit  use and  including acts of

terrorism, and the necessary response. Considering  this approach, today we

read not only Safety Culture, however also Security Culture, ...

If Bolton's statement is correct and not a press misinformation I think it

is necessary both developed countries and the IAEA to revaluate the

situation and specialllly toward to improve and help developing countries in

a better understanding and direction.

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel