The message about a damaged nuclear power plant in India ( Kalpakkam )

Radsafers,

I dug up the TT message that had the headline as: "Nuclear power plant in

India damaged".

As I reread the short text I realize that besides the headline, the text it

is just speculative in its character. To get this more clear for anyone

interested I have decided to translate the text.

Even though the message is in Swedish, I here give you a link to one

newspaper where the TT message appeared (page 2, the small thing in the left

corner at the bottom):

http://www.metro.se/content/acrobat/stockholm/SESTO_20041228_A_Metro.pdf

Translation:

"NUCLEAR POWER PLANT IN INDIA DAMAGED

INDIA. In the South Indian State Tamil Nadu there are fears (//"there is

worry about the possiblility..."//) that the giant waves have damaged a

nuclear power plant.

According to the newsagency PTI, the Prime minister Manmohan Singh, has

called for a meeting to investigate/analyze possible damages to the

facility.

The damages are said to have appeared / arisen when the giant waves hit up

against the nuclear power plant, which is located on the coast, so that

water came (//pressed itself//) in."

----

This is perhaps not the best translation but you get the essence:

A headline which is wrong and then speculative and unclear ("how much water

and where more exactly?") text.

A TT message reaches a large fraction of our population - perhaps as much as

half of it. Most people will only grasp the headline (as I myself more or

less did - I don't trust TT about nuclear power - if one wants clear facts

they must often be searched for more directly) - and in this case (Metro

Newspaper link above) many may have just seen that headline without

critically reading the speculative characer of the rest - and then switched

over to reading the main article above (it says 10 dead Swedes by the way -

now it seems more like we will find the order of 2000 (??) killed).

My personal initiative only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com