Statistics and scientific journal articles

The following appeared in Nature.  I think it raises

some interesting questions about the quality and

possible relevance of articles I might read.

----------------

Editorial

Nature Medicine  11, 1 (2005)

Statistically significant

Last year, Nature and Nature Medicine were publicly

criticized for what could be described as the

sloppiness of the statistical analysis in some of our

published articles. These criticisms prompted us to

take a close look at the statistical methodology used

in our papers, as we tried to determine the true

extent of the problem and whether we needed to devise

a system to prevent it from recurring. The results of

this soul-searching exercise turned out to be very

instructive.

Our concerns began last May with the publication of a

paper in BMC Medical Research Methodology (  4, 13

(2004)). In their article, Emili García-Berthou and

Carles Alcaraz, from the University of Girona, Spain,

checked the accuracy of the statistical results

reported in the 181 research papers that Nature

published during 2001 and found that 38% of the

articles contained at least one statistical error. The

authors concluded that quality control of scientific

papers needs to be more carefully monitored and

suggested that a way to minimize these errors would be

for published authors to make their raw data freely

available on the Internet.

The findings of this study captured the attention of

the media, leading to a series of reports in the

international press. One of them, written by Robert

Matthews for The Financial Times, went one step

further than reporting the results, and included an

original analysis of the statistical methodology of

Nature Medicine papers published in 2000. Matthews

found that 31% of our articles showed evidence that

their authors misunderstood the meaning of P values,

leading to, for example, reports of P with ludicrous

precision (e.g. P = 0.002387).

How serious is this problem? To answer this question,

we decided to commission an independent 'statistical

audit' of Nature Medicine papers from two Columbia

University experts. Specifically, we asked them to

review the statistical methods of a subset of our

material, the 21 articles involving human subjects

that we published during 2003.

Using a checklist of commonly accepted statistical

reporting criteria, the two statisticians evaluated

the papers and concluded that their authors had a wide

range of statistical expertise. At one end of the

spectrum, some papers had almost no quantitative

analysis. At the other end, some included rather

sophisticated statistical and mathematical

methodology. But most of the articles fell in the

middle, containing a few statistical tests to support

the authors' interpretation of the data. These tests

were often incompletely described, making it difficult

to assess their appropriateness to analyze the sample

under scrutiny.

Some of the omissions that the analysis disclosed were

frankly surprising, owing to their apparent

simplicity. Authors often failed to state the sample

size, and occasionally introduced rounding and

truncation errors. They frequently reported P values

while failing to mention the statistical tests they

used to obtain them. In some cases, the statistical

measures were not labeled, making it impossible to

establish whether they represented standard deviation

or standard error. And in some cases in which the

standard deviation or error was identified as such,

the sample size was too small to warrant its

calculation.

As is evident, these problems are largely the result

of inadequate provision of detail and do not even

begin to explore bona fide statistical errors (which

were also common): the use of one-tailed instead of

two-tailed tests or the lack of adjustment of the

level of statistical significance in the case of

multiple pairwise comparisons. In short, what we

learned from this audit was that the statistical

sophistication of most of our authors, referees and

editors is rather elementary, and that the criticisms

that we received are legitimate, requiring us to take

prompt action.

So, as a result of our independent audit, we have

decided to take steps towards improving the quality of

the statistical reporting in Nature Medicine.

Reflecting on the types of errors that the audit

disclosed, we concluded that for most papers, the

problems encountered are quite basic and would not

warrant a full review by a statistician, as is common

practice in clinical journals. Instead, we believe

that the common errors that we found can be remedied

by enforcing clear guidelines about descriptions of

quantitative data and statistics. We are in the

process of finalizing these guidelines, which will

appear in our Guide to Authors within the next few

weeks.

The guidelines, which will ultimately be adopted by

Nature and all the Nature Research journals, will

require authors to include a subsection on statistics

in the Methods section of their papers, and will

include a discussion of at least three broad topics:

statistical testing, descriptive statistics and common

statistical errors. We are confident that the

guidelines will assist not only the authors in

preparing their manuscripts, but also the editors and

referees in evaluating the validity of the data.

=====

"The real threat to the life of the nation, in the sense of a people living in accordance with its traditional laws and political values, comes not from terrorism but from laws such as these."

LORD HOFFMAN, of Britain's highest court, which ruled against indefinite detention of terror suspects

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com