Re: Nuclear sub runs aground in Pacific

Not a good day.  I was on the USS ORION in Charleson,

SC, when the USS Ray came back.

http://www.lostsubs.com/SSN-653.htm

http://www.cpf.navy.mil/Story%20Archive/2005/ssn711.html?story_id=16506

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/08/nuclear.submarine/index.html

> PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii - The Los Angeles class

> submarine USS San Francisco (SSN 711) ran aground

> while conducting submerged operations approximately

> 350 miles south of the island of Guam today.

> The incident occurred at approximately 4 p.m., Jan.

> 7, Hawaii Standard Time (12 noon, Jan. 8, 2005, Guam

> Time).

> The extent of the injuries and damage aboard San

> Francisco is still being assessed, but includes one

> critical injury and several other lesser injuries.

> The submarine is on the surface and is making best

> speed back to their homeport in Guam. There were no

> reports of damage to the reactor plant which is

> operating normally.

> Military and Coast Guard aircraft are enroute to

> monitor and assist in the situation. Further

> releases and announcements will be made as

> information becomes available.

> For further updates and information, please contact

> the U.S. Pacific Fleet Public Affairs Office at

> (808) 471-3769

> Fred Dawson UK

=====

"The real threat to the life of the nation, in the sense of a people living in accordance with its traditional laws and political values, comes not from terrorism but from laws such as these."

LORD HOFFMAN, of Britain's highest court, which ruled against indefinite detention of terror suspects

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com