RE: question concerning stress tests

>"Oh, about the same as a chest X-ray (~10 mrem)."  I do not know

whether that was simple ignorance or deliberate misinformation.

>the technician was able to tell me the activity dose I was receiving

(30 mCi of Tc-99m) but not my whole body or effective dose in mR or mSv.

Recall, and pass on to others, that reasonable dose estimates are freely

available at any time on the RADAR web site, for most standard

procedures. Two places:

http://www.doseinfo-radar.com/RADAR-INT-NM.html

http://www.doseinfo-radar.com/RADARDoseRiskCalc.html

I heard of a number of cases while at Oak Ridge where people set off

alarms at the plants, and really had no idea that they had had a nuclear

medicine exam. Some were told only that they would be given a "dye". At

first I thought it might be just limited understanding on the part of

the recipient (not all were in HP-related work), then I became convinced

that some medical providers, as Phil said, were ignorant or deliberately

not informing people. This is absolutely astounding to me, after the

Clinton/O'Leary debacle. I say "debacle" because I thought it was a

ridiculous and badly managed exercise. Nonetheless, we should have

learned from it that poor disclosure (hey, even GOOD disclosure) can

come back to haunt you - many, many years later.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068