Re: FW: question concerning stress tests

Well, at least they told you some radiation was

involved.  It is not uncommon for the technologist to

tell the patient that they will be injected with a

"dye" and then have their picture taken with a

"camera."  The word radiation never escapes their

lips.

This is an old, and continuing, problem.

--- "Careway, Harold A. (GE Energy)"

<Harold.Careway@gene.GE.com> wrote:

> Phil sent:

> Exposures from nuclear stress tests can be

> considerable, at least to those

> of us who have to explain and justify every last

> millirem to regulators and

> activists.

> Several years ago I had a stress test and made some

> post treatment

> measurements with a Bicron MicroR meter.

> Injections of 30 mCi of Tc-99m and 4 mCi of Tl-201

> result in a cumulative

> dose of ~600 mrem.  Seven (7) hours after treatment,

> the exposure rate was

> 17 mR/hr in contact with the stomach and 20

> microR/hr (twice background) at

> 30 feet.  Exposure rate at stomach level after 2

> days was ~2 mR/hr, and

> after 7 days was ~0.5 mR/hr.   After 3 weeks,

> exposure rates were

> indistinquishable from background.

> Yes, at those levels, a lot of patients are going to

> be setting of the

> increasing number of post 9/11 radiation monitors in

> airports, borders, etc.

> See

> http://www.philrutherford.com/Stress_Test_2003.pdf

> <http://www.philrutherford.com/Stress_Test_2003.pdf>

>  for charts of exposure

> vs. distance and time.

> Interestingly enough, when I asked the nuclear

> technician who administered

> the radiopharmaceuticals, how much exposure I would

> receive, he said "Oh,

> about the same as a chest X-ray (~10 mrem)."  I do

> not know whether that was

> simple ignorance or deliberate misinformation.

> Phil

> -----

> I had the same experience when I went for my

> Cardolite test - the technician

> was able to tell me the activity dose I was

> receiving (30 mCi of Tc-99m) but

> not my whole body or effective dose in mR or mSv.

> It was like he never

> heard of such a thing and really made me angry.

> Latter I estimated that

> between the two doses I received (1PM in the

> afternoon and a second dose at

> 8AM the next morning) I picked up somewhere between

> 1600-1800 mR integrated.

> I continued to register above background on my Xetex

> 308A until three days

> after the procedure and the first day I could set

> the detector off from 15

> feet outside my office, what fun.

> Hal Careway

=====

"It doesn't matter whether you're riding an elephant or a donkey if you're going in the wrong direction."

Jesse Jackson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist