Re: more Durakovic

I bet the Uranium Medical Research Center finds

positive results of uranium uptake in people who are

"sick."   Let the games begin.

--- "Franta, Jaroslav" <frantaj@aecl.ca> wrote:

> FYI....

> Jaro

> > Town under radiation microscope; Port Hope home to

> uranium processing

> > plant Study will test few townspeople for

> radiation exposure

> > National Report

> > Toronto Star, 22 January 2005

> > Kate Harries

> > PORT HOPE -- An internationally recognized nuclear

> medical expert will

> > study residents here for evidence of sickness

> resulting from exposure to

> > radioactive materials.

> > Dr. Asaf Durakovic, research director of the

> Uranium Medical Research

> > Center in Washington, D.C., a non-profit

> organization that also has an

> > office in Toronto, says he agreed to undertake the

> study at the request of

> > a local committee.

> > "There are sick people in Port Hope who are not

> being cared (for) by

> > anyone," Durakovic says. "If someone asks us for

> assistance, we have no

> > moral or ethical right to refuse such a request."

> > While Health Canada has found that cancer and

> mortality statistics in this

> > town of 15,000 are comparable with Ontario as a

> whole and other similar

> > communities in the province, some residents are

> welcoming the study as the

> > first in which there will be actual physical tests

> of people.

> > "This is a very big step forward," says Faye More,

> chair of the Community

> > Health Concerns Committee, an independent

> citizens' group that has been

> > pushing for a health study of Port Hope residents

> for 10 years.

> > "These aren't theoretical models on computers.

> We're finally doing an

> > investigation into the possible effect on people

> who live here."

> > The Uranium Medical Research Center tested Iraqi

> civilians exposed to

> > bombing during Operation Iraqi Freedom and found

> high levels of depleted

> > uranium in some people.

> > Durakovic says committee members presented him

> with clinical histories of

> > specific individuals and hearsay evidence of the

> prevalence in the town of

> > cancers and respiratory, renal and immune system

> problems that could be

> > attributable to uranium exposure.

> > He says he feels the town's history as the home of

> a nuclear processing

> > facility for more than 70 years points to the need

> for a properly

> > structured study.

> > The project has the potential for controversy,

> coming at a time of renewed

> > interest in the activities of uranium giant Cameco

> Corp., which is seeking

> > federal approval for a plan to produce a new and

> more potent nuclear fuel

> > here.

> > Cameco vice-president Robert Steane has raised

> questions about the

> [...]

=== message truncated ===

=====

"It doesn't matter whether you're riding an elephant or a donkey if you're going in the wrong direction."

Jesse Jackson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist