RE: Anyone know about this?

Was there a sign on the door that indicated

radioactive material was stored or used in the room?

Were the firefighters trained that such a sign might

mean there meters would alarm?

Around here the first responders have meters set to

alarm at 10 mrem.  Do you think that is too low?

--- Wesley <wesvanpelt@att.net> wrote:

> Barbara, Eric and Fellow Radsafers,

> I read the newspaper article on the false radiation

> alarm. (see link below.)

> We should look at this from the perspective of a

> public official charged

> with protecting citizens. It seems that they

> responded quite well to the

> situation:

> 1.	Smoke or haze in a room where radiation was also

> detected.

> 2.	Tell people within 3 (10?) blocks to close doors

> and turn off A/C

> units ("shelter in place")

> 3.	The all-clear was announced within 2 hours. (Not

> bad timing for an

> emergency radiological detection, response, public

> notice and final

> evaluation.)

> Could we have done better?

> What would you have done differently?

> Best regards,

> Wes

> Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP

>  <http://home.att.net/~wesvanpelt/Radiation.html>

> Wesley R. Van Pelt

> Associates, Inc.

>   _____

> From: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/home/article/0,1651,TCP_996_3500728,00.html

=====

"It doesn't matter whether you're riding an elephant or a donkey if you're going in the wrong direction."

Jesse Jackson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist