Re: Detection of HEU, etc

No matter how well trained people are they will need usable instruments.

The task takes more than the mickey-mouse GM or NaI devices which are

currently deployed.

Ge detector based systems can do the job, although they cost more and there

are tradeoffs to be made because of the cooling system (which better be

LN2, or you endup with an expensive Peltier cooled device which may

dangerously approach the NaI class).

 I roughly estimate that a quad 35-50% Ge detector system will be about fine

to inspect containers - such a thing would cost about $200k (at least

I know I can deliver it at such price, I have heard of more expensive

systems of the above mentioned mickey-mouse type being installed only

to raise the question of how to actually do the job, but that's not a

tech issue).

 Of course, there is also a variety of Ge based mickey-mouse

systems on offer - and under "development" at fancy labs ....

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com