AW: AW: Green glowing powder emitting gammas

Mary,

Thank you for this reminder of what I forgot to mention in my posting: I

would recommend the person involved to be extremely careful with this

material!!! Not to open its container, I hope there is one, even to put

the container into a tight closing jar and wait for further information

from experts. On the other hand of course no hysteria or fear is

appropriate!!!

BTW, the correct German (and also English) expression instead of

"bremstrulung" would be "Bremsstrahlung"......

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer

PhD, MR iR

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna

AUSTRIA

phone -43-0699-1168-1319

knowledgable

> enough to have this material? I would hate to see him contaminate his

home

> or lab.

> >From: Franz Schönhofer <franz.schoenhofer@chello.at>

> >To: "'Chuck Cooper'" <cooperc@teleport.com>,

> <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

> >Subject: AW: Green glowing powder emitting gammas

> >Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:59:41 +0100

> >Chuck,

> >Some ideas...

> >There is a lot of information missing: Is the powder glowing in the

dark

> >or only under UV excitation? If the first is true, then it might be

> >material for a luminous dial repair set. On the other hand I have a

> >"highly" radioactive alarm clock from the beginning of last century,

the

> >luminous dials of which do not emit any visible light any more. This

is

> >also true for a wrist watch I received as a boy in the late fifties.

It

> >is well known, that the phosphor used is degraded with time both from

> >environmental impacts and also the constant alpha-irradiation. If it

> >glows only during UV-irradiation it might be still material intended

for

> >luminous dials. Both my examples do so. On the other hand it might be

> >uranium compound. Some uranium minerals, like tobernite, autunite,

> >meta-autunite, urano-circit or meta-uranocircit show beautiful

> >fluorescence. I use to show it to friends visiting.

> >What bothers me with the description is, that it should be "slightly

> >radioactive". The next question is: At what distance? My very simple

> >pocket dose rate meter shows in about 20 cm distance to the alarm

clock

> >mentioned above a dose-rate roughly ten times background radiation.

The

> >material for a repair kit would have to hold a manifold of the amount

on

> >my single alarm-clock.

> >Maybe Bill Kolb would be the expert to help solving this question?

> >Please keep me informed on the outcome. I have always been interested

in

> >the history of radioactivity and its application. I also have done

some

> >work on radioactivity in consumer products and investigated the

transfer

> >of tritium from luminous dials to the human body - with much

surprising

> >results.

> >Best regards,

> >Franz

> >Franz Schoenhofer

> >PhD, MR iR

> >Habicherg. 31/7

> >A-1160 Vienna

> >AUSTRIA

> >phone -43-0699-1168-1319

recent

> >post:

> > > I can only assume that he has some old radium paint base, should I

try

> > > to track this guy down?

the

> > > text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the

e-mail,

> > > with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe archives at

> > > http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

e-mail,

> >with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe archives at

> >http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

> Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from

McAfee®