[ RadSafe ] Re: Radiation deficiency remediation

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 19:31:31 CEST 2005

As a starting point, the total amount of potassium
varies from 110-140 grams, depending on muscle mass.
The radioisotope, K-40, is about 0.0118% of natural
potassium.  K-40 decays by beta-minus, 89%, and
electron capture 11% with 1.46 MeV gamma rays, and
beta-plus 0.001%.  Beta-minus maximunm energy is 1.314
MeV.  With a half-life of 1.26 X 10^9 years, the
specific activity is 7.1 microCi/gm.

As a first pass, the activity of K-40 is 92 to 117
nanoCi of activity.

--- "Bradshaw, Keith" <keith.bradshaw at niras.co.uk>
wrote:
> I think we've discussed this on here before.  The
> additional dose from
> ingestion of potassium is likely to be very small.
> It's just the dose as it
> is "passing through".  Unless you are deficient in
> potassium to start with,
> none of the additional potassium will be retained in
> the body.  Although
> I've not calculated it, I suspect you'd make
> yourself very sick if you
> attempted to ingest enough KCl to raise your
> radiation dose to these
> "hormetic" levels.  Perhaps that's why you have
> "given up on KCL"?
>
> Personal views only
>
> keith.bradshaw at niras.co.uk
>
> web:  www.niras.co.uk

"Embarrassed, obscure and feeble sentences are generally, if not always, the result of embarrassed, obscure and feeble thought."
Hugh Blair, 1783

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com