[ RadSafe ] Re: Radiation deficiency remediation: KCl

howard long hflong at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 4 20:31:13 CEST 2005

KCL, (not ingested but several sacks to lie on at night), could raise background levels about 0.5 rad/year. My wife didn't like the idea, especially since having a mattress between would reduce the amount to insignificance. We already get a lot of potassium in diet, especially in vegetables, which have KCl as the main intracellular salt - as do people.

Howard Long

John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
As a starting point, the total amount of potassium
varies from 110-140 grams, depending on muscle mass.
The radioisotope, K-40, is about 0.0118% of natural
potassium. K-40 decays by beta-minus, 89%, and
electron capture 11% with 1.46 MeV gamma rays, and
beta-plus 0.001%. Beta-minus maximunm energy is 1.314
MeV. With a half-life of 1.26 X 10^9 years, the
specific activity is 7.1 microCi/gm.

As a first pass, the activity of K-40 is 92 to 117
nanoCi of activity.

--- "Bradshaw, Keith"