[ RadSafe ] Re: Radiation deficiency remediation

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 23:30:01 CEST 2005

I am not sure what your mean by "you apparently lack
much . . ."  You really need to learn to write
complete sentences.

Yes, I read the article when it was first mentioned.
As Dr. Luan has noted, the study lacks a rigorous
analysis.  I guess you need to read some of the old
e-mails.  The reported effects apparently appeared in
the local media, and is not based on any
epidemiological studies.  Since you studied to be an
epidemiologist, I assume that you understand the
significants of having appropriate controls.  Of
course, I could be wrong in assuming you understand
the issues

Have you read the McGregor and Land 1977 article I
sent?  Can I expect an answer?

--- howard long <hflong at pacbell.net> wrote:

> John,
> You apparently lack much if the data available from
> the JAm Phys & Surg @ www.AAPSonline.org V9:1 pp6-11
> Is Chronic Radiation an Effective Prophylaxis
> Against Cancer" Chen, Luan et al.
>
> I hope you will study it more before commenting
> further on it.
>
> Howard Long
>
> John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dr. Luan,
> Thank you for your reply. Like you, I was surprised
> of the reports of no cancers among the apartment
> residents to be incredible. Unfortunately, I still
> find the reports to be incredible.
>
> My belief is that without a proper study of the
> exposure and health effects of the residence, this
> event will not carry much weight in the scientific
> community. I am glad that you agree with me. I
> believe that the media news. Scientists should do
> science and report it to the media. And while animal
> studies form the basis of testing the effectiveness
> of
> many medicines, only clinical trials in humans
> provide
> the proof. I have believed that good epidemiological
> studies of human populations who have lived under
> high, continual background exposure levels for many
> years provide the best source to study the effects
> of
> radiation on overall human health. In your Taiwan
> situation, the activity has been decreasing over
> time.
> What if the exposure had remained constant for 10 or
> 20 years?
>
> As for Dr. Luckey's claim that cancer is increasing
> in
> the U.S., is in error with the data. I was at a
> presentation he gave a number of years ago. Some of
> the problems involved looking at the absolute number
> of cancers without taking into account the aging of
> the population. Older populations have more cancers.
>
> In the U.S. the life expectancy was 45 years of age,
> so few people lived long enough to get cancers.
> Currently our life expectance is about 75, and the
> incidences of cancer increase after age 55 or so.
> Consider the age of the people you know who have
> cancer. When you were young, how many of your
> friends
> had cancer?
>
> I should make clear that I am not a doctor. I would
> not anyone to get the idea that I have certain
> qualifications that I have not earned.
>

> --- yuan-chi luan wrote:
>

> ---------------------------------
>
> Dr John Jacobus:
>
> I always encourage all scientists to create a
> vaccine
> like polio, inflrenza and dipteria for cancers, and
> showed them the effect of chronic radiation could
> prevent cancers, but I do not know what would be the
> proper way to do it. Since the Taiwan residents
> lived
> continously in the Co-60 apartment, their cancers
> were
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

"Embarrassed, obscure and feeble sentences are generally, if not always, the result of embarrassed, obscure and feeble thought."
Hugh Blair, 1783

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com