AW: [ RadSafe ] Bob Cherry on pyrophoric uranium munitions

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Wed Apr 13 00:26:40 CEST 2005

Franz Schönhofer wrote:

> You mention "poison gas strictly forbidden by the laws of war" - what
> are these laws of war?

The 1925 Geneva Protocol bans the use of "asphyxiating, poisonous, or
other gases, and of all analogous liquids."  The 1899 and 1907 Hague
Regulations ban the use of "poison or poisoned weapons."

>... Pyrophoric means that it reacts with oxygen.

Actually, pyrophoric means that it burns in air.  Uranium reacts with
Nitrogen at 800 degrees Celsius.  Uranium burns in air at above 1100
degrees Celsius.

>... to form nitrates would be a rather complicated and unreasonable reaction.

On the contrary, the only question is what proportion falls out of the
fire's plasma:

      UO2 + 2 NO + 2 O2 --> UO2(NO3)2

      UO2 + 2 NO2 + O2 --> UO2(NO3)2

      2 UO3 + 4 NO + 2 O2 --> 2 UO2(NO3)2

> Your question of nitrogen compounds (as a chemist I do not know of any)
> and very specially on UO3 species (is it UO3 or not?) leads me to
> conclude that you are just another one of these pseudo-scientists, who
> probably have studied a year of chemistry and now regard themselves as
> the ultimate experts in nuclear issues or whatever else, just as
> required by some umbrella organisation which finances you.

The Gmelin Handbook and other actinide chemistry books indicate
that about 1/5th of uranium burned in air oxidizes as the UO3
species.  The Army has never detected that species in any of their
open-air burns, because it is much lighter than the other oxides
and wafts much further away from the burn.  The vapor pressure of
uranyl nitrate is much, much greater than that of UO3, so of course
it travels further, and, it precipitates as a film instead of clumping.

They have never detected nitrogen compounds (including two species
of insoluble nitrides, by the way) because, for some reason, they
have never bothered to look.  I am not certain I believe the
assertion that the scientists in charge of the uranium munitions
safety studies were unaware that uranium reacts with nitrogen, but
as you, an expert chemist, assert the same thing, it is difficult
for me to tell.  I learned the reaction temperature in less than
two days of library research.  In my most recent petition to the NRC,
I have alleged gross negligence, which is the willful and reckless
disregard for the safety of others.  The NRC is obligated to complete
an investigation.  We will see where the evidence leads.

> Could you provide your political agenda clearly, so that we know whom we
> have to deal with?

Certainly.  I have a young daughter, and I would prefer that when she
comes of age, the proportion of males in the population with teratogenic
sperm is kept to a minimum.

Sincerely,
James Salsman