[ RadSafe ] Re: Radium to Carbon?

Leo M. Lowe llowe at senes.ca
Wed Apr 13 16:16:05 CEST 2005

The direct decay of Ra-226 to Pb-212 by C-14 emission is know as cluster
decay, which has been observed in several heavy radionuclides.  Besides
C-14, the emission of C-12, O-20, Ne-24, Mg-28 and Si-32  clusters has been
observed.

Cluster decay is extremely infrequent, in the order of 1E-10 or less
relative to alpha decay of these radionuclides.  It basically relates to
the probability of the clusters tunneling through the potential decay
barrier of the nucleus.

In refreshing my memory on Radium 226, I stumbled onto a site that stated
that Ra 226 can sometimes decay directly to Pb 212 by emission of a Carbon
14 nucleus.  This was totally new to me.  Can anyone enlighten me?

Harry Reynolds
Leo M. Lowe, Ph.D., P.Phys.

SENES Consultants Limited
llowe at senes.ca
www.senes.ca
Tel: (905) 764-9380
Fax:(905) 764-9386

This transmission is intended only for the addressee and may contain
PRIVILEGED or CONFIDENTIAL information.  Any unauthorized disclosure, use
or retention is strictly prohibited.  SENES does not accept liability for
any errors, omissions, corruption or virus in contents or
attachments.  Information is provided for use "as is" by the
addressee.  Revised documents must not be represented as SENES work
product, without express, written permission of a SENES Director.