[ RadSafe ] RE: Portal monitors to detect SNM

Dimiter Popoff didi at tgi-sci.com
Wed Apr 13 19:57:21 CEST 2005

 The new muon based technique sounds promising, what I miss so far
is the time it takes to scan a container. If it is fast enough,
this may well be the way to go.

 I have said it before, those mickey-mouse NaI based devices are
completely useless (especially since they cost as much as a HPGe
based system could cost).
 Although the gamma spectrum is weak and low energy dominated thus easy to
shield neutron activation of the materials nearby will produce
gamma which can be detected reasonably fast (given the high resolution).

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com                 ++359/2/9923340