[ RadSafe ] Muller's LNT has misled us!

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Thu Apr 14 17:03:26 CEST 2005

April 14, 2005

We all learned in the study of radiation biology that Muller observed a
perfect LNT relationship for simple ionizing radiation (x ray) mutations
in  Drosophila fruit flies (H.J. Muller, SCIENCE 66: 84-87, 1927). That
observation was for Drosophila spermatozoa (see Spencer and Stern, 1948).
However,  new research using somatic cells rather then germ cells shows
that those results probably do NOT apply to carcinogenesis!

T. Koana, Y. Takashima, M.O. Okada, M. Ikehata, J. Miyakoshi, and K. Sakai,
A Threshold Exists in the Dose-Response Relationship for Somatic Mutation
Frequency Induced By X Irradiation of Drosophila, RADIATION RESEARCH 161,
391-396 (2004), show not only a threshold below 1 Gy, but also a reduction
(hormesis?) below 0.5 Gy for some alterations. The simple  changes observed
by Muller in germ cells do not apply to somatic cells. These new results
indicate that LNT probably does not apply to  carcinogenesis at low doses.

In any case, we can now see why Muller's results are not applicable to the
LNT debate.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)
University of California, Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140