[ RadSafe ] leak test question

Michelle Salsgiver spacklecheese at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 21:37:11 CEST 2005

Rad Leak Test notes

Hello!  I am a recent grad and new member to this list?  Do any list members
have experience working in a warehouse environment that ships/recieves
device containing sealed sources?

I understand that based on NUREG 1556, Vol. 12 leak tests are required upon
receipt and before use or transfer.  However, performing leaks tests in a
warehouse environment that is continually shipping/receiving devices is time
consuming and costly; the devices are still in their original packages from
the manufacturer.  Is there a statistical method (at a defined level of
uncertainty) that can be submitted as statistically valid to the NRC (or
agreement state) to decrease the number of leak tests required.

Methods under consideration are by either: a) grouping all shipments
(example: 100) in groups of 5 and performing 20 leak tests (1 on each group
of 5) instead of 100?   or    b) perform a leak test on each device of a
representative number of the 100 to give a confidence of 99%?
Obviously emergency precautions would go into effect if an analysis came
back as greater than 0.005 micro Curies.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!  I've enjoyed reading the informative advise on this list thus far!

Michelle Salsgiver