[ RadSafe ] James Salsman, volunteer.. /wearing pants

Bjorn Cedervall bcradsafers at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 17 10:59:27 CEST 2005

>my position.  Over the same week, the best my detractors could come
up with in support of their positions were a Nature article from
the '50s about the dangers of wearing pants -- the quantizations
from which they misrepresented -- and a superseded Royal Society
report already rejected by the British government.
-----------------

The basis for this consideration was evolutionary biology, the Arrhenius
eqn.,
rate constant dependence of temperature etc. The male gonads wouldn't
be located outside the body if it wern't important. This must reasonably be
about fine tuning of the number of germs cell mutations per generation to
maximaize the probability that the species (gene pool) survives. To my
knowledge there is no repair system in the sperms - therefore nature
cannot select against anything affecting mutation rates on an enzymatic
level - the selection then became against gonads at a temperature of 37 C.

Professor (emeritus) Lars Ehrenberg is probably still at the University of
Stockholm
if anyone wants comments regarding the mutation rate consideration.

Just my personal comment and interpretation,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers at hotmail.com
PS. The last author of that paper in Nature should be Hedgran, not
Hedgram as someone wrote.