[ RadSafe ] Re: Radiation deficiency remediation - nuclear power promotion

howard long hflong at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 18 21:40:15 CEST 2005

Not necessarily. To illustrate, look at Cohen's graph where the larger populations  with lower exposure to radon had higher lung cancer mortality rates. Just arithmetic.

Howard Long

John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
That may be true, but that is not the problem here.
Again, what is the problem with the data in the 1977
report. If their was a beneficial effect, wouldn't
the number of breast cancers for those receiving 1-9
rads plus those receiving 0 rads still be less than
the expected number of cancers? No LNT, just
epidemiology.

--- howard long wrote:

> MINGLING is the error.
> Howard
>
> John Jacobus wrote:
> How so? If there are B cancers in the 0 - 1 rad
> group, O cancers in the observed group of 1 - 9 rad
> group, and E cancers in the expected cohort group
> not
> receiving any radiation exposure, shouldn't the
> table
> on page 802 of the 1977 paper shows that B + O < E
> if
> the population are normalized to the same sizes?
> Since B + O > E, where is the beneficial effect? Is
> that hard to understand? You say you studied
> epidemiology, so you should understand this process.
>
> And what does "WHI hides the benefit of hormone
> replacement by mingling smokers with non-smokers"
> have
> to do with this discussion?
>
> --- howard long wrote:
>
> > Mingling the 0-1 rad exposures with the 1-9 rad
> > exposures, HIDES the hormesis,
> > as WHI hides the benefit of hormone replacement by
> > mingling smokers with non-smokers.
> >
> > Howard Long
> >
> > John Jacobus wrote:
> > First, let me say thank you for reading the 1977
> > paper.
> > How can you say that the data on page 802 of this
> > paper does not refute the fact that women had less
> > cancers. Are you saying that 105 observed cancers
> > are
> > less than the 96 expected based on epidemiological
> > studies. No LNT involved. I am not talking about
> the
> > information about those who received hormetic
> doses
> > of
> > 0-9 rads.
> >
> > Are you having trouble accepting the data?
> >
> > And what does "as did the benefit from hormone
> > replacement when the smokers were mingled in WHI"
> > supposed to mean? Why are you throwing this into
> the
> > discussion?
> >
> > --- howard long wrote:
> > > Again,
> > > Mingling those with no excess radiation (0-1rad)
> > > with those who may have had a hormetic dose of
> 1-9
> > > rad, obscures hormesis (as did the benefit from
> > > hormone replacement when the smokers were
> mingled
> > in
> > > WHI).
> > >
> > > P 802 data of the attachment in no way refutes
> the
> > > fact that women receiving 1-9rad had LESS breast
> > > cancer than those receiving more - and less!
> That
> > is
> > > NOT consistent with lazy-man's LNT!
> > >
> > > 1-9rad is beneficial and should not scare people
> > > getting it from nuclear power waste or Hanford
> or
> > > dirty bomb into huge expenditures! Only
> > bureaucrats
> > > benefit from the LNT myth.
> > > . . .

"Embarrassed, obscure and feeble sentences are generally, if not always, the result of embarrassed, obscure and feeble thought."
Hugh Blair, 1783

e-mail: crispy_bird at yahoo.com