[ RadSafe ] transfer factors

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Wed Apr 20 23:07:25 CEST 2005

Khalid Aleissa wrote:

 >... where can I find a comprehensive document about transfer
 > factors of radionuclides from water to different parts
 > of different plants species and micro organisms.

Please see page 20 (pdf page 30) of "Radiological Conditions
in Areas of Kuwait with Residues of Depleted Uranium," by the
IAEA (2003):
   http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub1164_web.pdf

C. van Netten and D.R. Morley in Arch. Environ. Health., vol. 38,
no. 3 (1983), pp. 172-175, will also be of interest:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=6870355&dopt=Abstract

Note that there are official U.S. Dept. of Energy recommendations
suggesting that washing radishes removes uranium from them.  I
believe that to be false, for both radishes and potatoes.

Kathy Delucas, email duke at lanl.gov; phone +1.505.667.5225, has
more information about evaluating plant uptake.

Sincerely,
James Salsman