[ RadSafe ] Radiation in San Fran's water

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Sat Apr 23 18:18:41 CEST 2005

Barbara Hamrick wrote:

 >...  Just FYI - life is 100% fatal.

As a resident of California, knowing that my state employs
professionals capable of such profound insight makes me want
to phone their entire chain of command first thing Monday
morning so that I can share the details of the entire extent
of my admiration for them.

 >> Carl Sagan, on page 322 of “Cosmos,” explains that “Rongalup
 >> residents ended up with strontium concentrated in their bones,
 >> and radioactive iodine concentrated in their thyroids. Two
 >> thirds of the children, and one third of the adults later
 >> developed thyroid  abnormalities, growth retardation or
 >> malignant tumors.”
 >
 > No offense to Dr. Sagan, and maybe this is substantiated
 > somewhere, but I'd really be interested in seeing a peer-reviewed
 > study of this population, rather than hearing anecdotal comments
 > on it, which have little scientific weight.

Then perhaps you should search the peer-reviewed medical
literature instead of newspaper clippings:  Health Phys. 1997
Oct;73(4):651-62, Health Phys. 1997 Dec;73(6):962, Health Phys.
1997 Jul;73(1):190-8, Health Phys. 1996 Oct;71(4):438-56,
World J Surg. 1992 Jan-Feb;16(1):126-40, JAMA 1982 Mar
19;247(11):1571-5, etc.

"There were twenty-one children on Rongelap Island who were
under the age of ten at the time of the Bravo test.  Nineteen
of those twenty-one have since had their thyroids removed."
  -- Jonathan Weisgall, attorney for Bikini Islanders, 2000

 >> Most strontium 90 decays in 96 years and cesium 137 in 100 years.
 >
 > Technically, they both have a half-life of about 30 years, so
 > this statement alone calls into serious question any other
 > comments made in the same document.

The fact that my health has been entrusted to a so-called
professional suggesting that 90% is not "most" makes me think
that waiting until Monday morning could be a serious error of
judgment on my part.

Sincerely,
James Salsman