[ RadSafe ] Radioexcretia, etc. in municipal solid waste

Jim Hardeman Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Fri Apr 29 19:36:42 CEST 2005

George *

As I recall this was MANY years ago, so it's unlikely that these measurements were from a real-time monitoring system. I'm pretty sure they were grab samples ... and your point is well taken as well.

Barbara hit the nail on the head ... states are devoting HUGE amounts of resources chasing small amounts of short-lived radionuclides that alarm monitors at landfills. If (as we've seen happen here in GA) the notification chain goes through the feds (let's say that somebody calls the National Response Center) a routine event suddenly takes on the urgency of a "homeland security event", and no amount of logical argument can slow down that juggernaut.

Jim

>>> "George J. Vargo" <vargo at physicist.net> 4/29/2005 13:17:12 >>>

Jim,

Your point is well taken and I am aware of I-131 from medical administrations occasionally showing in radiological environmental samples.  Were these grab or samples counted to environmental MDAs or observations of a real-time monitoring system?  There is a huge difference in the sensitivity.

George J. Vargo, Ph.D., CHP
Senior Scientist
MJW Corporation
http://www.mjwcorp.com