[ RadSafe ] Nuclear security agency needs more scientists, GAO says

Jose Julio Rozental joseroze at netvision.net.il
Sat Feb 5 20:25:49 CET 2005

Colleagues,

To ensure security of sources requires that measures be applied to prevent unauthorized access to radioactive sources at all stages of their life cycle, as well as loss, theft, and unauthorized transfer of sources.
As we can understand, emphasis on security today is subject of the highest priority to avoid intentional malevolent act. If highly skilled and trained people have retired, I think  countries  should be aware not only to contract, however also to train in time new generation of such professionals.

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze at netvision.net.il
Israel

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0205/020305k1.htm
Nuclear security agency needs more scientists, GAO says
By Kimberly Palmer
February 3, 2005
kpalmer at govexec.com

The National Nuclear Security Administration, a unit of the Energy Department charged with maintaining nuclear weapons, is faced with a shortage of scientists and engineers, according to the Government Accountability Office.
Scientists and engineers need to be hired before the older members of the workforce retire, in order to foster institutional knowledge and skill transfers between generations, she said.