[ RadSafe ] radsafe rules

John R Laferriere john.laferriere at bms.com
Mon Feb 7 13:15:49 CET 2005

Hello, Marcel- Welcome and thank you for taking over the list!  Sandy
just asked whether there were any rules changes for radsafe.  There is
one thing that Sandy posts that I feel is inappropriate.  When he posts
news articles, he sometimes includes PR Newswire releases about his own
company*.  PR Newswire is a for-pay service that companies use to help
publicize their businesses.  The releases are normally written by the
company, which then pays PR Newswire to publish the "news" release.  In
my opinion, this is advertising, not news.  As far as I can remember,
there is a prohibition on advertising on radsafe.  It would be one thing
if he published PR Newswire releases of other dosimetry vendors (like
Landauer), but I have never seen one.  Given the change in listserve
leadership, now would be a good time to bring this subject up with
Sandy, if you are in agreement with my views.

*(Global Dosimetry Solutions.  There are two instances of this in
Sandy's rasdsafe news posts within the last 3-4 weeks.)

Thanks again for your service to the radiation safety community.

Sincerely,

John Laferriere