[ RadSafe ] RE: Misleader of the Year 2004 - anti-nuclear & othercomments

Dukelow, James S Jr jim.dukelow at pnl.gov
Mon Feb 7 16:31:11 CET 2005

I have sent the following message to Dr. Joseph Ovick, Superintendent of the Costra Costa County School District:

Dear Dr. Ovick:

I was led to the treatment of the Port Chicago disaster and subsequent mutiny and court martial on your school district's website by an outraged contributor to RADSAFE, an Internet mailing list for radiation safety professionals.  I was not as outraged, perhaps because I fundamentally agree with Doug Prouty's opinion/bias on the issue of the mutiny and court martial.  I did find his focus on Peter Vogel's rather speculative conspiracy theory that the explosion was an early, and subsequently supressed, nuclear weapons experiment--in effect using the sailors, mostly black, loading the munitions ship and the townspeople of Port Chicago as guinea pigs--to be completely unbalanced.  The only link that looked like it might offer some contrary opinion was broken, leading to nothing relevant to the issue.

There is, in fact, quite a bit of contrary opinion and historical fact available, rather easily found by doing a Yahoo search on the words "Port Chicago disaster".  For instance, the online, open source encyclopedia Wikipedia has a nice article at <en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Chicago_disaster> and there are a variety of other naval and military history sites with relevant information.

Your website and, indeed, your school district should be in the business of education, not propaganda and indoctrination.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
36905 E. Rodeo PR NE
Benton City, WA 99320

That said, I have a couple of items of dispute with the unnamed "another web site" author of the complaints about the Contra Costa County S.D. propaganda.  I have interpolated my comments in the original text.