[ RadSafe ] did everyone get this email?

Gerald Nicholls Gerald.Nicholls at dep.state.nj.us
Wed Feb 9 20:47:35 CET 2005

Michael Borisky wrote:

"I have been on the list serve for many years now.  Every time I see
this type of conflict (and there have been many), it seems to be
associated with the same person.  I would recommend that the time has
come for the moderator to terminate the privileges of anyone that makes
unprofessional, insulting, and personal posts.  Perhaps one infraction
per year could be tolerated, after which the individual would be removed
for a year.  I'm disappointed that we as a HP family would tolerate this
element and allow it to generate conflict."

I agree  with Mr. Borisky but I would suggest a modification that
worked well on another list that I subscribed to a while ago.  When a
member's conduct was judged to be inappropriate by the moderator, the
moderator warned the individual, if it occurred a second time, he
suspended the individual from the list for one month.  If inappropriate
conduct occurred again, the individual was suspended for two months, and
so on. Since I've never operated a list, I don't know how much work this
is for the moderator, but my experience as a member was that it has been
effective.

Gerald Nicholls
New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
609-633-7964