[ RadSafe ] RefL US Government Charging for Radiation Safety Software

Hal C hacrad at comcast.net
Tue Feb 15 03:32:25 CET 2005

I have been using software from RSICC for most of my work years (I'm just about to retire).  In fact one of my friends was one of the first contributors of software to RSICC many years ago.  So the $300 fee for software (if it's good software) is not too burdensome, considering that it pays for the people who work at RSICC and not for the development of the software.  BUT, there are two points which really bother me.

First,
Consider I work for a large corporate entity and there are five of us in  my group.  If we want to get a update to say MCNP we need to buy five copies at $300 each.  There really should be a way to buy a network approved version which we can all share.  Secondly, the copies are licensed to one individual and the license is not transferable ----- now that stinks.  If I were Mr Corporate and I had to buy a copy for every new employee rather than transfering the copy from the person who leaves my employee to the new guy, I question such a policy.

 If I buy Microsoft word or Mathcad, or almost any other individual software, for my company, I can transfer it at will as needed without recourse to buying new copies.  We just bought 400 copies of Visio, network shared.  The people who need Visio are given access to the installation.  If we need more we buy more licenses.  When a employee leaves, the name is removed from our access/licensed list and we now can assign the license to another user.  Our security software inventories everyones computer every friday, so there are no illegal copies.

I think that is a better way.

Second,
I have a real problem with the NRC and RSICC.  If there is an error in any code they send out,  DON'T DEPEND on them letting you know, especially the NRC.  The NRC has no formal procedure for notifying user's of NRC generated computer codes.  I have seen RSICC send out some notices, but they seem to be hit or miss.  Once the code is produced and released, the NRC does not consider itself responsible for providing error notices.

So ENJOY,

Hal Careway