[ RadSafe ] NJ hosts hearing on study of radiation in baby teeth

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Sat Feb 19 17:22:14 CET 2005

Hi, Floyd,

I never said the sky was falling. What I wanted to understand was how the TFP
folks indicated

> > The study, which is ongoing, has found that levels of the element
> > were 30 to 50 percent higher among children living in counties with
> > nuclear plants, according to Joseph J. Mangano, national coordinator
> > of the Radiation and Public Health Project.

Your homework was wonderful, but I do have one units question to start...
"97 microsieverts, (pSv) [9.7 millirem(mrem)] "

Is this picosieverts (pSv) or microsieverts (µSv)? 1 Sv=100 rem ... so I think
the text "microsieverts" is correct and "pSv" should be "µSv"

The challenge we have is that not all font sets properly show "µSv" as the Greek
"mu" so perhaps the darned cornputer translater "mu" to "p" To be safe, where I
say "µSv" I could also incorrectly (but more universally translatable) write
"uSv"

In any event, I'm stuggling just to come to grips with R and rem -- while I'm
not as bad as an old curmudgeon on another list (who insists on "cycles per
second" and not "hertz"), may I stick with rem and R for a bit?

If the background radiation (that I've measured) runs from 5-15 micro R on a G-M
tube, then that means the exposure is 5-15 micro rem per hour, right? Then that
translates , based on your number of 1 mrem (milli) per year for the average
dose within 50km of a nuclear power plant, that is then equivalent (to make the
math easy say 10 micro rem per hour) of 100 hours of normal background
radiation. There are 8760 hours in a year, so the dose from the power plant is
about 1% of the natural background dose.

Is this, in a rough-order-of-magnitude sort of way in the ballpark or did I drop
a decimal point someplace?

And, as someone else said, living in Denver would be much worse than what I've
measured close to sea level.

Another statement is "The worldwide average effective
dose from inhaling Sr-90 (1945 to 1985) is 9.2 pSv (0.92 mrem). "

Is that an annual dose or a cumulative dose? Let's round that to 1 mrem and
assume that it's per year, then this is on a par with the average dose from the
power plants.

Of course, the "average" dose from power plants is an interesting number. Does
that mean that you could have 9 really clean power plants and 1 dirty one and
the dirty one was releasing 10 mrem a year? Also, if you average to a 50 km
radius, does that mean that people at the fence get 100x what people at 50km
get?

I'm not a "sky is falling" person, but when I see these numbers thrown around I
like to understand where they came from. My original post was intended to be
skeptical of the TFP, but asking for more information. I certainly think the
international studies cited are more trustworthy.

The one thing I don't understand is that the TFP apparently doesn't do any
controls, but if they don't do controls, how can they say that the percentages
are elevated.

They are also not apparently making claims to health risks.

Also, if I read their numbers and Floyd's numbers correctly we're talking about
the difference between 1.0 and 1.3 or 1.5 mrem per year of exposure. To my way
of thinking, that is too difficult to even accurately measure when it is 1% of
the total ionizing radiation dose acheived in a year.

Cheers,

Richard
--

Richard L. Hess